The Metro Project comprises the following six lines
- Line 1 (Blue Line) runs in the north-south direction along Olaya and Batha streets, starting from slightly north of King Salman Bin Abdul Aziz Street and ending at Dar Al Badia neighbourhood in the south. The Metro will be mostly underground in a tunnel along Olaya and King Faisal Streets, and elevated on a viaduct along Batha Street and at the northern and southern ends. Line 1 extends over a length of approximately 38 km (24 mi) and features 22 stations, in addition to 4 transfer stations with Lines 2, 3, 5, and 4&6.
- Line 2 (Red Line) runs in the east-west direction along King Abdullah Road, between King Saud University and the eastern sub-center, mostly on a raised strip in the median of a planned freeway. This Line extends over a length of about 25.3 km (15.7 mi) and features 13 stations, in addition to 3 transfer stations with Lines 1, 5 and 6.
- Line 3 (Orange Line) runs in the east-west direction along Al–Madinah Al Munawwarah and Prince Saad Bin Abdulrahman Al Awal Roads, starting at the west near Jeddah Expressway and ending at the east near the National Guard camp of Khashm El Aan. The metro will be mostly elevated along the western part of Al–Madinah Al Munawwarah Road, then underground in tunnels in the central section of the line, and generally at grade along Prince Saad Ibn Abdulrahman Road. The length of the line is approximately 40.7 km (25.3 mi) and it features 20 stations, in addition to 2 transfer stations with Lines 1 and 6.
- Line 4 (Yellow Line) reaches to King Khalid International Airport from King Abdullah Financial District, mainly on a mix of elevated and at-grade alignment. The length of the line is around 29.6 km (18.4 mi) and it features 8 stations (3 common with Line 6), in addition to 1 transfer station with Lines 1 and 6.
- Line 5 (Green Line) runs underground in a tunnel along King Abdulaziz Street, between King Abdul Aziz Historical Centre and the Riyadh Airbase, before connecting with King Abdullah Road. The length of the line is about 12.9 km (8.0 mi) and it features 10 stations, in addition to 2 transfer stations with Lines 1 and 2.
- Line 6 (Purple Line) follows a half-ring starting at King Abdullah Financial District, passing by Imam Mohamed Bin Saud University and ending at Prince Saad Ibn Abdulrahman Al Awal Road. It runs mostly elevated except along Sheikh Hasan Bin Husein Bin Ali Street. The length of the line is approximately 29.9 km (18.6 mi) and it features 8 stations (3 common with Line 4), in addition to 3 transfer stations with Lines 1, 2 and 3.
The project was originally led by the late Prince Sattam bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, former Governor of Riyadh and Chairman of the Arriyadh Development Authority, and is now led by Turki bin Abdullah Al Saud, the current Governor of Riyadh.
Riyadh Metro map